Family Portraits are a great way of preserving your happy memories, from the birth of children, to school days, all the way to big family reunions. Viva Photography understands the stress involved with getting a big family group together, and we are here to make sure your unique family photography experience is one you will be proud of, and want to share.
A few tips before you arrive to make sure your family photo is a great experience:
1. Practice your posing. Practice standing in a group comfortably, and think about what you will do with your hands. Our family photographers are trained to help you get comfortable and photo-ready on the day, but if you practice beforehand you will get better results.
2. Talk about what you will wear. Large or bright patterns are a no-no. Wear similar toned colours; coordinate with your family and test out a few different options. Double check that everything is clean and ready before the big day, to prevent rushing around.
3. Don’t experiment with new hairstyles or make-up. Your family portrait should be a natural reflection of who you are, so don’t style your hair like the latest celebrity or wear new colours or heavy make-up – you may find that it doesn’t translate well on camera or that your photo doesn’t look like ‘you’.
4. Don’t plan your session on a rushed or busy day. The more relaxed you all are, the better the result. Often the last few shots are the best, so you don’t want to be checking your watch, waiting to run to the next appointment! Make a day of it, extra family time is rare these days so what better time for a family day out?
5. Make sure you get plenty of sleep the night before. This will help with the stress levels of young children and hurried parents, as well as have you all looking your best. It’s best not to drink alcohol the day before a shoot as it can cause a drawn or tired look.
6. Eat before your session, and most importantly, before you change into your outfit! This will prevent stains or spills and also urgency of hunger should the shoot go through a meal time.
7. Bring a comb for emergency touch ups. Ladies might want to bring face powder to blot shine.
Last of all, Relax! This is a fun experience, and the results will hang in your home for years to come. Family photographs become treasured memories that capture the essence of your family, and preserve many happy memories. Experience a relaxed, fun, family portrait shoot in one of our modern studios. Viva loves family photography, so contact us today to organise your shoot!